Monday, February 27, 2006


The first time I watched Jason Monet paint was on January 3, 2001. Jason and myself, along with his four daughters(Camille, Marcel, Louise and Simone) and a Dutch gentleman traveled from Ubud to Padang Bai, Bali Indonesia. The plan was to celebrate Camille's birthday while getting some sun and painting done. The day we arrived we hiked over the ridge to the southern cove in Padang Bai. This is were Jason painted one of my favorite of his Coastlines. Whenever I look at this painting I can hear the rest of us laughing on the beach while Jason stayed intense to his canvas. This was the day I first saw the mastery in his style and technique. Thus far I had been impressed but unmoved when seeing his art. Then only days later while watching the energy go directly onto the canvas. I was sold! Jason Monet was capturing the energy that the rest of us were feeling while playing in the sand and water. No question about it I was utterly blown away. The very next day I picked out my first painting to sell, years before JL Galleries existed.